Saturday 28 June 2014

Knitted Chevrons

Here's a project I've been working on pretty much since the first month of pregnancy.

Really recommend this book, lots of great patterns!

A knitted baby blanket! I found this great book of baby blankets, and loved so many of them. I chose one that looked interesting enough to hold my attention while being easy enough that I could watch the tele while knitting.



I chose fairly gender-neutral colours, since at the time I didn't actually know whether Button was a he or she, but they actually lend themselves quite well to a baby boy anyway, since it's mostly the blue and grey. The yarn I chose was Sirdar's Snuggly Baby Bamboo, which is really soft and cozy and nice, and the blanket hangs quite nicely without being stiff. I kind of wish I'd chosen the colours a bit better, and had white replacing either the grey or blue (the orange is for the border), just so it would have a bit more contrast, but it still looks pretty nice anyway.

The pattern actually called for a heavier weight yarn, and originally the pattern was coming out way too loose, so I reduced the needle size by 1 mm and also added an extra chevron to it to keep the width. In hindsight I think the extra chevron panel was unnecessary, as I feel like it's now got to be super long to keep it in proportion.

Closeup of the chevrons

I do quite like the pattern still, and I think it looks really nice, but I have to say I am not the biggest fan of making blankets anymore. They take SO LONG, and use SO MUCH YARN! I imagine this will be another project that gets finished while I'm on maternity leave because I'll just have to crank it out while watching a film or something. I kind of wish I hadn't started it now, but I'm about 2/3 done, so I just really have to suck it up and finish it.

As an aside, here is a little glimpse of our nursery! It is a VERY small little room (A's former study), but at least it has just enough room for the cotbed and a nursing chair. 


I love the colour we chose, it's such a nice happy lemon-y colour! The awesome little whale pillow was commissioned by A from a crafty friend of ours for my birthday. It's so sweet! The shelves were an absolute nightmare to put up because the outer walls are all masonry. It was a very frustrating process for A. But he did a good job!


The cotbed is our kind of baby gear dumping ground at the moment, as there's really no storage in our house at all, and Button will be in a little crib in our room or in a moses basket wherever I am for the first few months anyway, so this will probably be mostly used for nursing at night when A is asleep and storage until Button is old enough to sleep on his own in here. In hindsight I think we went a bit overboard with the cotbed, but it will be handy for the future as it converts to a really nice looking toddler bed!

It's all getting a little bit real now - I have my one final day at work on Monday, and then I'm officially on maternity leave for 9 months! Ahh! Tomorrow I'm baking a delicious New York Cheesecake for everyone at work to celebrate (and to introduce them to proper cheesecake, not the weird mousse-y stuff that they consider cheesecake here in the UK), so I may make a post on that as it's the best recipe I've ever found, and I need to share it with everyone. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment